Monday, August 10, 2009

Lululemon can kiss my big butt

Yoga really isn't geared towards the portly ones... I know it seems like I'm harping on this but the fancy yoga stores like lululemon don't make shirts bigger than a L/12. The L in pants is maybe a 9/10. Yesterday, I wanted to get some really nice workout wear that was geared towards yoga specifically. Contrary to what some may believe you can NOT wera the same workout clothes two days in a row.. when it's dry it smells ok but when re-wet? Um.. nasty! A combo of fritos and vegetable soup come to mind . I wanted all cotton, wickable (apparent  buzzword for athletic clothes) easily washable and something that supports "the girls" even though mine are more like "the ladies " :-)

I asked the saleslady what styles might work for me. She took me to the full support section and pulled a cute top in a size 8. I asked her if they had anything bigger and she said they don't offer support tanks higher than 12 but they did have some size 14 plain tank tops and that I could wear a sports bra underneath. I asked "Do you have sports bra's in my size then?" She replied "Um, no sorry we don't really carry any plus sizes." At this point I feel discouraged thinking "damn, I'm too fat to even wear yoga clothes let alone think I can be a yogi." Shockingly enough I was willing to spend $52 a tank top and everyone who knows me knows how cheap I am!

I ended up trying Modells, lady foot locker and even Macy's. Nothing. I settled on some Old Navy wear. It says it's made for yoga specifically and are actually comfortable, cotton and breathable. I will try them tonight at class and report later.

2 comments:

  1. lululemon DOES, in fact, sell full-support tanks and bras in larger sizes...your educator was apparently mistaken. also, cotton is inherently not moisture-wicking, which means no cotton yoga gear can wick your sweat away, although it is breathable. two very different things. i hope you try another lululemon or check out the website because they do have a lot to offer, despite your one experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Alyssa,
    I did check the website and the largest size available is size 12 in the support tanks and the bras are a 36. I understand about pure cotton not wicking and I loved the fabrics lululemon had but since none of it fits me (yet) I still stick by my personal experience with the store (and now online).

    ReplyDelete