Monday, August 24, 2009

Day 20 Afternoon Delight


In Yoga one doesn't call taking class working out. It's deemed more valuable by saying one has "a practice." I can see how that would be. When some people say "I'm going to go work out" it conjures up images of machines, tread mills, free weights being curled, grunts escaping and sweat. Yoga isn't like other "sports." It is very sweaty don't get me wrong, but no one makes weird noises like they do at the gym. (then again I think some muscle heads would lose their shit if someone let out a long ass Oooooooommmmmmm or fluttered their lips during their dead lifts) Yogis and gym rats have kinship over their love of self improvement but that's about it. Weight lifters look in the mirror. Yogis close their eyes. 

I had a new instructor for the first time in awhile and she was superb! She spoke about coming from a crazy kick boxing type class and how sore she was. I'll let you in on a little something... I was happy to hear that. I reveled knowing that even the svelte bodied ones can feel the pain and soreness that us softer ones do. I felt the possibility that maybe for the first time since I started this project the instructor would feel as much of the pain as the students :-) She was extremely hands on. Her energy was completely open, non judgemental and silly yet very wise. She reminded us that by laughing we are engaging our cores so laugh on little buddha laugh on!

It was a quick flow combined with awesome stretches and the most amazing shared Savasana I've ever head. She did this thing where she lengthened my spine by pulling on my feet. She then did this weird reflexology on my big toe. If I wasn't already married I'd have asked her. I have to give it to the teachers. There is no way in hell I would touch some slimy, sweaty, stranger's skin. But I am verrry grateful she touched mine :-) 

Even with my glasses off and my focus intense, I can feel the awesome bodies around me. Even a hazy silhouette of a crazy fit woman and I covet. Not just her tone and taut belly but I covet her flexibility and balance as well. I WANT THAT. Who am I kidding? If I absolutely, truly %100 wanted it I would do everything in my power to obtain it. This means monitoring my calorie intake more (you mean not everyone eats a whole bag of pistachios with a quart of pomegranate juice?) and to reduce the general body fat percentage so I can see the muscular results.

Tomorrow is 3 weeks. I leave for 9 days the day after. Big milestone and big challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment