Sunday, August 16, 2009

Day 12 Percussive Posing

Today's Center class featured a live percussionist. My instructor was the earth mama I blogged about earlier. She had her hair down (gorgeoussss brunette waves) from the tight bun she had the last class and looked so young. I found myself wondering how does any woman have a nursing child, teach classes, live in NYC and look so blissful? I think Ponce De Leon should have skipped the fountain and headed for a yoga studio. She was very helpful with adjustments and encouraged me to do my Bandha Sarvangasana or Bridge Pose with my hands clasped underneath my shoulder blades. It was more like ET "phoning home" but what the hell, at least I tried.


The live music was nice in the regard that it helped time go by unnoticed since there was no "ok... Sara Mcglaughlin comes next, then Seal then we get to rest in Savasana!" We moved through poses faster than any other class which for me felt like a dance class. It also made me feel like I knew what I was doing. I was learning a sequence of choreography vs "sitting in the pose." This was the first class that I didn't feel completely idiotic at one point or another  and I think that was because I was more focused on graceful movements than alignment.   

On the flip side when he began to play fast and loud, I felt it rush through my body, feeling the need to match my breathes or flow to his set rhythms and crescendos. It was especially jarring during the mellow "close your eyes and breathe..." meditation parts and then out of the blue *!!DING!!* a loud ass Tibetan bowl (I'm guessing cuz my eyes were closed) would ring and I literally jumped up "What the!" Maybe my reflexes are too tense but when I'm "in my zone" and a noise comes on all crazy loud I'm ready to stop, drop and roll!

I'll try the live music class again to see how the experience is on a different day. I always like to try new things 3 times. Just to be sure I gave them a chance. I'd LOVE to have an actual sitar player who would just rock it during the class! dinga-dinga ding ding dinga ding-ding...


No comments:

Post a Comment