Sunday, August 9, 2009

Day 5 Hookers and Sidhartha

I've just returned from my first "Center" class. This consists of 30 minutes of classic flow, followed by 15 minute posing with focus on breathing and 15 minutes of meditation. The instructor asked if anyone was new and when I told her yes she said to look at people next to me for tips. She began with how there was so much death around us (the tragic Hudson heli/plane crash last night etc) and that we should dedicate our practice to someone who was no longer with us. The first dead person I thought of was my Dad. 

A booze drinking, hooker chasing, car racing, chain smoker whose only exercise was 12 oz curls, opening a refrigerator and the occasional masonry job. A man who displayed his spiritual beliefs through t-shirts printed with images like a boy bee going down on a girl bee saying; "be good to bee's, eat your honey." Not exactly images I'm able to join with the "clean, organic" practices of yoga especially since the instructor was a new mom who breast fed during the class. She wasn't posing simultaneously or anything that rad but she brought the kid in for about 5 minutes who sucked away as we did our vinyasas. That is one earth mama! And one earth baby too I guess. I decide to dedicate the class to myself.


I felt good about the opening flows and tried to get comfortable with the amount of sweat that I pour. It really is a unique experience to enjoy the feeling of being hot and drenched. We're reminded that by sweating we "get rid of all the toxins" and I'm thinking my toxins are dripping all over my mat and how I'll have my face down in them in about 3 minutes. The poses are going quickly and a few new ones were introduced such as  Warrior 3 or Virabhadrasana 3 this made me feel all "Ice Castles like" but in my case I was ready for the feeling to end. This pose is REALLY hard for balance and makes you very aware of how what goes up must come down as well. I held it for about 5 seconds at a time but hope to be pretty bad ass by the 45th day. That's the middle of my challenge so why not set goals? Now, let's define what's bad ass...

No comments:

Post a Comment