Friday, August 7, 2009

Day 3 Yes, there is a pose called Corpse


Today was day 3. What I thought was a beginning class turned out to be an advanced 1 mixed with an intermediate 2 class. This meant harder poses and at a much quicker pace! I thought I would die but forged my way through. 

I did a LOT of resting in "Savasana" or Corpse Pose as I told myself over and over again "you can do this Shelly, just don't compare yourself to others" (super hard for an over achieving and super competitive Leo like myself.)

When I spoke to the teacher I was surprised to hear she didn't know I was an absolute beginner. She said she assumed I had an "advanced practice" because I was "graceful in my poses" and took so many rests. Apparently in Yoga when you really know your body, you know when to take a rest and not "push through." This is perhaps the most amazing concept about Yoga for me. It's the only exercise program that doesn't encourage you to do 2 more reps, add 10 more lbs to the bar or tell you to "suck it up!!" 

Yoga encourages each person to do what they think is best for their own bodies. This requires a lot of personal motivation and drive. In another word DISCIPLINE. I've always said that I need "adult supervision" because when left to my own devices I can find some amazing ways to procrastinate, indulge in somewhat devious behavior and fill my mind and body with tasty toxins and scrumptious poisons (iced caramel coffee, nachos and Reality TV anyone?)


I am trying to live better to live longer and enjoy what I have while I am here. I am SO fortunate to have the life that I have. Love, music, friends, family and fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment