Saturday, August 29, 2009

Day 24 Shivas and Virgins and Yogis Oh my!


I had my first California class to day. Actually, I had two. The first one was an all levels Flow and the second a Restorative class both taught by the studio owner Rose who is a beautiful redhead with amazing energy and grace. The studio was carpeted which made for a much more cushiony experience. There were awesome paintings on the wall and beautiful silks hanging around a lovely alter. Shiva and the Virgin Mary what a kick ass combo!

The first class from 8:30-9:45 am had 6 students total with the widest variety of ages of any class I'd been in. There were 3 women; one about 19, one my age and one in her 70's and two men; one my age and another in his 70's. The practice was different in that I didn't recognize the chants and there were no english words just the hindi. I was pleased to realize that I know more than I thought. Another curious change was that students faced each other across the room. I was grateful for being pretty much blind so I could "see past" the man across from me in order to focus. As always I sweated a lot.


The second class, Restorative from 4:15-5:30 pm, was based on stretching, relaxing, cradling, breathing and meditation. The most kick ass thing about the class? I was the only one!!! Just me. Yogi e Yogi. It felt really strange at first, almost as if it was a bit too personal but that faded quickly and I had one of the best experiences I've had doing this project. I was so glad to have released the tensions from the 3 hour dentist appt that I had yesterday it felt amazing.

This experience of doing two classes in one day was much better than the last time I did it. I feel so fortunate that I was able to find a studio to take class while I'm here and I'm looking forward to taking her class again tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment