Monday, August 10, 2009

Day 6 Slip Sliding Away


"You know the nearer your destination the more ya slip sliding away" uh... thanks Paul. It turns out when 37 people are in a room meant for about 20 a few things happen. The heat gets insane, your muscles stretch further then you knew was possible and, you sweat. I'd done 5 classes before this one and thought I sweat a lot. This class? I sweat so much that I slipped and face planted during my  Chaturanga Dandasana or Four Limbed Staff pose.

The chick above looks so graceful doesn't she? When I do it my ass is way up in the air and my knees are on the ground ala "girl" push up. Now, I can do about 15 of  "girl" push ups and 6 "boy" push ups per rep but I can't hold the above pose to save my life. Yet. My sweaty mat, slick hands and toes made this night a lesson in humility. When I was on about my 25th attempt I literally slipped out from under my hands and feet and smacked my face on the mat. The lady next to me said "Sorry" and for a minute I thought I could blame it on her but I knew it was my own fault. I tried to regain my composure in corpse pose ( I talked about this pose earlier) and when I felt I didn't care any more I resumed. I must admit I've taken to not wearing my contacts and just "going blind" it works wonders for self-consciousness.

I've befriended a woman whom I'll call "Dray" who has seen me from my first class and is a great face to see at the end of class. She has an amazing practice and is so lithe and cat like I hope one day to be as devoted as her and my reward will be those attributes too. Until then, I will bring a towel to every class just in case I decide to rain on myself indoors again.

No comments:

Post a Comment