Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Day 1 90 Classes 90 Days


Today I have started a Yoga program and will be doing "90 Yoga classes in 90 days." This blog will keep track of my progress, thoughts and fears. 

Am I nuts?  Well, yes I am but that's neither here nor there. I am a woman who turned 42 four days ago and has struggled with weight and stress issues my whole life. As a child I was either malnourished or chubby and as an adult I've weighed in the range from an underweight 130 lbs (hello 1980's and cocaine) to an obese 220 lbs (hello snack cakes and men who like big girls.) 

I am currently much closer to the high then the low and wanted to kick start myself into caring about my awesome soul vehicle. That's right, I said soul vehicle. That's what our bodies are. A physical vessel that carriers our emotional and psychological selves.

As a person of "plus size" stature and a complete Yoga novice I wasn't sure how I would fare. Everyone who has ever said "Yoga is for everyone!" never had a gut or big thighs to deal with I'm guessing. 

My first class was absolute torture. When dogs stretch it looks so yummy but when I do Adho Mukha Svanasana or Downward Facing Dog Pose it's kind of dizzying right now and more like a downward facing walrus. Nausea, fatigue, emotional releases and tight muscles were only the beginning. Fortunately I was sweating so much no one could tell the difference between my tears and my sweat droplets! 

The teacher was firm in speech and instruction and had a definite plan for the class. I asked a few questions afterwards about why I might be dizzy and nauseous and she suggested it was a lack of water intake and proper breathing. I'll try and focus on these things next time. 

This will be an amazing journey and I think that by sharing it with the world my chances of succeeding increase greatly.


4 comments:

  1. Hey Shelley,
    Stacey here, the teacher from your first class. Alan told me about this blog and your plan and I'm so impressed. I remember talking to you before and after class, and I remember you saying that night's class would be your third yoga class, but here you say it was your first! I feel badly because had I known it was your first class I would have tried to give you more assistance. Sorry it was torture. Flow 1 at Sonic is different than a beginner class, for sure, although you did so beautifully. But there are definitely other, more gentle ways to begin a yoga practice.

    Also about the breath, what I meant was that it was possible that you were breathing very well, very deeply in class, and that the newness of that for your system is what might have caused the uncomfortable sensations. Hope that was clear, and I'd love to hear how the breathing has been feeling for you. Also, if you have any questions, please let me know.
    Good luck with everything,
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more thing, Shelly (spelled your name right this time :-)

    Regarding water, traditionally it is thought that drinking water during yoga practice will extinguish the heat, or tapas, that's being cultivated in your body, which helps to purify you and eliminate toxins, so the idea being to abstain. Of course this runs counter to a more Western understanding of keeping hydrated, and all of that. You've probably already figured this out for yourself, but I would suggest you drink what you feel you need, especially in this heat, and as your body is getting acclimated to the practices . . . .

    Namaste!
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Stacey! I appreciate your help. This journey has been amazing and everyone has been very supportive.

    ReplyDelete