Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Day 28 Take two classes and call me in the mornig


Another day of two classes and by the looks of things I may be doing another 2 classes on Thursday if my day turns out to be as crazy as it's looking for tomorrow.

My first class was a Hatha class. Traditional Hatha Yoga is a holistic yogic path, including moral disciplines, physical postures (asana), purification procedures (shatkriya), poses (mudra), yogic breathing (pranayama), and meditation. The definition sounds like the definition for general yoga and the class felt pretty much the same but much more gentle. We did an awesome breathing exercise where we sniffed in two deep breathes and exhaled a defined haaaaaaaaaaaa. This made me a bit dizzy and as always when I get dizzy I get scared. I suffered from debilitating Vertigo for almost two years awhile back and when I get dizzy it's hard not to "go there" when I do. It was only myself and one other woman with the instructor and owner Rosie. She teaches about 18 classes a week. What the?? No wonder she looks like a Goddess!

The second class was an all levels class and was the largest of all the classes I've taken since I've been here. It was also the first class I've taken with a pregnant woman rocking the yoga poses. She did a headstand. She was 4 months pregnant and she did a headstand. She said she could feel her baby girl moving around inside her belly. I am a freak. I am probably the only person in the class who felt squeamish about that. Women will probably judge me and say "it's the most natural thing in the world." For whatever reason, I am not one of those woman. I feel ashamed about this. I don't want to but I do. I wish I knew why I have these pregnant woman or nursing in class issues. Wtf.

I find that I don't have a lot of motivation to get to class but once it's over I feel so much better. I have to say that the two in one days are easier here because I have a wider variety of styles. It is also not as intense a practice as it is in NYC. Does that make it any less beneficial for me? I'm not sure. I am sure however that I feel much more calming effects after the classes here than I do in NY.

Maybe it's just that California is more laid back... I will be back in Nyc Fri and try to bring some of the mellow with me...




No comments:

Post a Comment