Friday, September 11, 2009

Day 39 Nine Eleven Community Meditation


The date September 11th has a lot of meaning for me. Not only was it a loss for America and all of humankind it was a devastating loss to me personally in many ways. I wanted to spend tonight's practice devoting energy to all who are affected by it.

I chose meditation class from 6-6:30 pm at the Deepak Chopra's Yoga center here in NYC. The space is awesome with all the things you'd find typical at a yoga center except the staff. They are all wearing beautiful burnt sienna colored smocks with creme slacks (yes I said slacks) and look more like aestheticians than receptionists. I think the fact that they also offer a slew of spa services it makes sense. All of the twice daily classes on meditation are FREE>

The actual room was absolutely stunning with dark wood floors and cabinets with a cool little alcove at the front. There were these trippy little back support chairs and blankets. I am used to sitting on mine but people in the class wrapped up in them. The leader was a woman named Tanya who looked Indonesian and had a soothing voice. She had everyone (6 women ages 30-60's and one man about 40) sit in a circle with a candle in the middle.

The instruction was to concentrate on the breathe and slow the pulse down. Usually I hear other people in class when we do these exercises but I could only hear me. In fact I felt like I was the only person in the room most of the time and when I was aware of other people it startled me. I tried to keep concentrating on inhaling Peace, Freedom, Ease and Forgiveness and exhaling Fear, Doubt, Loss and Anger. All of these thoughts and numerous visions swirling in my head but I managed to not fidget or get too sidetracked.

I have so many feelings inside that it felt good to send that energy out into the universe...



No comments:

Post a Comment