Monday, September 7, 2009

Day 35 Dig deep and see what you find

Labor Day. I tried to trick myself and say "Today's a day of rest." Uh, no it isn't. I've rested plenty. I need to go to class.

Tonight's class was taught by the girl I call Anna (Kournakova.) She is the one whose voice I love and who's music needed to be changed. Praise be! She changed it! I was ecstatic. I love her classes but the repetitive music was getting to be a huge turn off and now the problem is solved :-) She is always very hands on and today the class was small so I felt like I got extra attention.

The curious thing about being "adjusted" during class is that just when you think you can't stretch another centimeter someone guides you to a deeper pose. It's scary and exhilarating at the same time. I was doing the Extended Traingle or Utthita Trikonasana Pose and I felt like I honestly couldn't go any further she eased my shoulders back and my hips forward and POW! a whole new feeling. I can't explain what this feels like. Your mind is saying "There's no way in hell I can go any further" and your body just does it.

I think of how women lift cars off their children in accidents or men who are able to move concrete walls when a coworker is in danger. Adrenaline. But not the " we're gonna kick their ass this super bowl!" kind but the "I can do anything" kind. The body is so extremely fragile yet unbelievably strong at the same time. You can die from a spider bite but live after a shark bites your legs off. You can snap during a phone call with one customer service agent and find joy with 500,000 people celebrating New Years Eve in Times Square.

I've learned a lot this last 35 days but the number one thing is that even if I don't feel like going, when I do I feel so much better...


No comments:

Post a Comment